Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Banning Food Chocies?

I have to admit that my first reaction to the story the L.A. was banning fast food in poor neighborhoods was one of head shaking anger. OK anger may be a strong word but I did think "who are they to ban fast food?" We should be able to take care of ourselves, right?

Maybe Not?

I look at myself and my eating habits and see that I had plenty of healthy choices around. I just chose not to use them. I am not sure if it was convenience, taste or some other excuse I obviously chose to eat many of the wrong things and too much of them. After reading the article and found out that the ban was only for one year so that the community could try and attract healthier alternatives I thought that it may not be a bad idea. If someone, a long time ago, would have said hey try this for a 1 month or 1 year and see how it goes who knows were I would be today. Now I have a creature of habit and that habit is hard to break. My brain is wired for those types of foods, almost like an addict. I see that I am breaking the cycle and hope that I can keep it from beginning in my children. Do not get me wrong. I feel like we allow the government to get way to involved in our lives and are way too quick to give up some freedoms but I have to say that one year could make a difference. If it makes a difference for one person it is worth it in my book.

2 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

Sure would be easier if someone just plated my food everyday and told me what to eat. I do like my choices though!

Rick said...

The key word is "moderation"