Monday, July 21, 2008

11 Days

It has been a while since my last post and there has not been a weigh in since. I have debated on if I wanted to post about this topic but when I set out to do this my commitment was to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about my journey, good or bad. Well the last 8 to 9 days have been pretty bad.

Being over weight has many challenges. As I have gotten older my body shape has changed and I carry a lot of weight in the gut. This allows for my belly to hang over my waist line just a bit. This finally caused an issue last week when I got a scratch or sore of some kind that got infected and I had a huge abscess right under stomach in hip area. After prodding from wife and some consultation with my brother( he is a Doctor) I went to the emergency room and had it looked at. I knew they were going to say it needed to be lanced. However, I did not know how bad the infection was and how damn painful lancing an abscess could be. OMG it was the most miserable pain I have ever felt and to this point they were only numbing the area to actually lance the abscess. After a half hour of pressing and draining ( with pieces of infected tissue the size of my little finger coming out) I could not take any more and the doctor stopped. ( with much begging from me). They backed the open wound with sterile material and told me to see my doctor 48 hours later. Needless to say that did not go as well as expected either and the doctor debated on if he should send me to surgeon or not. The good news is that he did not and as of today I am feeling much better and the infection seems to be gone (heavy duty anti-biotics for the next 4 or 5 days )

The reason I am writing about this is that it was kind of a wake up call in a sense. There can be numerous health problems from being over weight but this is one I never imagined. It almost made me feel unclean. Granted, people get abscess's all the time but the severity of this one was due to the location and fold of fat that allowed it to fester. This could have been very serious. The doctor said if I would not have had it treated I was about 24 hours away from a hospital stay to get the infection under control. Talk about motivation..... So, I am back on plan. Spent tonight in the backyard playing with my daughter instead of on the couch or the bed and looking forward to a good week and weigh in on Saturday.

1 comment:

Matt Keeling said...

Holy moly! I am glad to see you are still committed. It is easy to lose track. I did for nearly a month but things are looking a bit better.

I have a problem with ingrown hair a lot when it comes to the "fat roll" can be painful from time to time, but nothing like what you are describing. Thanks for sharing and refocusing me as well.